Tuesday, May 14, 2013

(sigh) Math!

First of all, I mustn't let school be an excuse to not work on my patterns. I've decided to take two classes, College Algebra and Trigonometry. I'm taking them in person, not online, so that I can experience where other students have problems. And I'm going to stay after my classes to do my homework in public, in case anyone might ask me for help. I couldn't time the classes well, so I'll have to go to two different campuses and go to school four days a week. At first, I added that Algebra class in an eight AM spot. Like that could ever happen. Now my classes are at about 12:15-2:15. I am so excited about these classes!

And I have been working today. Finished a little section of my pattern and I'm hoping to finish another part before Charles comes home from San Antonio. I am following my own instructions to see if they work. Well. At least for me. I don't know if they will work for someone else, but I have a volunteer to test the pattern.

That's it. More work and more wine!

3 comments:

  1. Maths is a completely grey zone for me and algebra doubly so.So what you are doing is extraordinary. As extraordinary, to me, as making lace. I wish you luck!

    As for the pattern, I'm glad you have someone to test it. Writing instructions is a very complicated, because you have to keep it simple. Does that make sense? It's why English teachers set it as an exercise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of the math and lace as pretty closely related. They use the same skill set, and both delight me in similar ways. Math has always come easy to me. Getting to take the classes is just a big ol' bucket of fun for me. I've wanted to do this for years, since I finished my math degree in a bit of a hurry. I've always wanted to go back and really deeply learn it.

      Right now with the pattern writing, I'm worried my instructions are too wordy, but at the same time, my construction techniques are a bit tricky. I think once I get past the underwear, the rest will go fine, but now that I think about it, the whole thing is pretty complicated. So many parts to bring together. Needless to say, this won't be a beginner pattern. I don't know how my market will be. We'll just have to put it out there and see what happens.

      Delete
    2. I would think your buyers will be people who enjoy putting together complex patterns, because I imagine that's as satisfying as lace making and maths. A lot of people like making dolls from patterns that seem to be incredibly complex, so I'm sure there's a market out there. Are you doing photos? Illustrations?

      I see what you mean about the similarities between lace making and maths.It's an intriguing and fascinating idea.

      Delete