I met my Thursday deadline! I gave myself just four days to work on this one, since it is pretty simple and I didn't really have other plans this week. This week is mold drying :-/
Anyway, I tried the straight start and end. This ground is called Kat Stitch. Later on, there are some gorgeous advanced lace patterns based on Kat Stitch, but this one is very simple. I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of ground, so the straight start was even more difficult. The instructions were impossible, but I think I know how to do it now. The top one looks like it needs fewer twists, and the bottom one just looks like a disaster, lol. I'll try, try again.
The larger sample is from when I worked this book before in 1996. This is the normal size of the lace patterns. The color difference is between white and optic white.
I've given myself a full week for the next pattern. It's a much more interesting pattern, and it's the last one I worked in 1996--never went further in the book. I made over a yard of it, though, and will probably use it on a doll, even though it is coarser than what I'm doing now. There are about 36 patterns total that I will try to finish this year, and then I'm on my own!
I will pour the second half of the mold today, even though the first half isn't dry yet. Nefer Kane said I could "bake" them in the oven to speed drying time, but I've got to get the clay out first! I made an ear mold but can't get the clay out of it! I may put it in the fridge to harden the clay and try again. Or I may bake it to let the clay melt out. I like the idea of never again sculpting a six-year-old's ear.
Finally got out my good camera to take the photo, instead of my phone.
Oh, and I didn't draft any patterns. I think I'm dreading it.