Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pillow

This is what lacemaking looks like. For this pattern, I have 21 pairs. The next project uses 32! I have no idea how I will manage that!



I usually use a bolster pillow if I'm going to make a length of lace, but for these short pieces, I'm using an inexpensive foam pillow. You're supposed to cover them in a dark, solid color cloth, usually navy blue. But I've had this paisley around for a while, and I like it, so I used that. It hasn't strained my eyes to use it, either, so tell THAT to the purists! I also use square, continental bobbins instead of the English spangled bobbins usually used for this kind of lace. I think they're fussy, too expensive, and take up too much space. Square bobbins take up less space and don't roll. They're perfect. I only wish they had had the slim ones when I bought these.

I want to make fancy square bobbins, a project for when the woodworking classes are over.

2 comments:

  1. I'm seriously in awe. It looks so complicated! It's also lovely to see that an centuries old craft is still alive and still relevant and still done the same way.

    I can see why you'd go for the square section lace bobbins. The last thing you'd want is them rolling around and they do look practical and romantic all at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe when I work at the lace, too. I get so caught up in how beautiful it is. I'm obsessed, lol, literally. I wake up in the middle of the night wanting to work on it. It's bigger for me right now than dollmaking.

      Just know that it goes one lesson at a time, from very simple to very complex. Although it looks impossible, you would actually know what was going on if you were using the same book I am. Of course, the book is out of print now and prices at Amazon start at $179 last time I looked. Crazy. I wish Dover would buy it and reprint it.

      Delete