Friday, April 13, 2012

My Work Space Today

I was up at 2:30 and had every intention to start making a body pattern for my 12-year-old doll. But for some reason, I got distracted by hands. I spent a couple hours trying to turn fingers, and it just wasn't working. Back when I "made" cloth dolls (I say "made" because I probably only finished six), I made the tiniest fingers of everyone. My mistake this morning was not using the right TOOLS. I found the tools and I just did one, with the separate thumb, and it came out fine. The fingers are not the right lengths yet, but I'll fix that when I get to the doll.


I also made made two triple lattes this morning and now I never want to see another coffee for as long as I live. Or at least until tomorrow morning.

And I guess I'll put away my sewing and start the new lace.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, those are such beautiful hands. I don't do separate fingers because 1/ they're too fiddly and 2/ because most cloth doll hands look like they are locked in some painful spasm. But yours are lovely! Expressive and natural. And I love the shape of the body and those feet! How did you get such a neat flat base to the foot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Rhissanna! I purposely took that picture on my phone so there would be less detail, lol. I wasn't sure about the hands yet! It all comes down to having the right tools.

      I think other cloth doll makers prefer to use pipe cleaners in their fingers to make them posable. I would rather have clean lines. That's why I don't joint the arms. I joint the legs so the dolls can sit. The thigh part will be stuffed as well. I was just trying out this pattern.

      I make the foot like a shoe. I sew a piece of cardboard into the bottom of the foot and then stuff. Next time I'll post a photo of both the bottom of the foot and the pattern piece so you can see.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes please, Simon Purple! I'd love to see how you do it. Flat-bottomed feet would make it easier to fit shoes, maybe even make a doll that stands unaided.

      Delete